Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cry in Your Beer

Today I celebrate my love for western wear, pointy boots, and paisley (if you can slip it in there) with the Top Five best "Cry in Your Beer" songs.

Before we kick off the list, I'd like to point out that I do not condone lists with multiple entries from the same recording artist (unless the list is about a particular artist). So although this list could be populated 10 times over with George Jones songs, I decided to go for a little more vocal variety. Enjoy.

5. "It Won't Hurt" by Dwight Yoakam
"It Won't hurt when I fall down from this barstool". One line in and we know where this one is going. All pain and suffering with the typical prescription of whiskey in large doses. Dwight's drawl is perfect pulling apart syllables in and bathing them in grief, and his picture of heart-broken drunkenness is perfectly captured by his wonderful songwriting skills.

Today I had another bout with sorrow
You know this time I almost won
If this bottle would just hold out 'til tomorrow
I know that I'd have sorrow on the run



4. "Tonight I Think I'm Gonna Go Downtown" by Joe Ely
Joe Ely was an original member of the Texas-based band The Flatlanders that took a Gram Parsons-like approach to country music. Their roots-y sensibilities and uncanny songwriting skills were a breathe of fresh air during the crap-laden, over-produced sounds of Nashville in the 70s. this tune, penned by fellow Flatlander Butch Hancock, tells the sad story of a man recently split from his lover who wanders around downtown wherever looking for a piece of him that's missing.

Tonight I think I'm gonna go downtown.
Tonight I think I'm gonna look around
For something I couldn't see
When this world was more real to me.
Yeah tonight I think I'm gonna go downtown.



3. "Crying Time" by Buck Owens
Ok, so the title kind of gives this away, but for a guy who usually isn't too mopey this one is a real tear jerker. Buck actually stays away from mopey on his sad songs preferring to go the upbeat, self-deprecating route ("Act Naturally") or the more proactive "take it like a man" approach ("Foolin' Around" and "Adios, Goodbye, Farewell, Good Luck, So Long"), but this tune has him bearing his soul as he premptively calls out a lover who he knows will break his heart.

Oh, it's crying time again
You're gonna leave me
I Can see that faraway look in your eyes
I can tell by the way you hold me, darlin'
That it won't be long before it's crying time



2. "I Hate These Songs" by Dale Watson
Dale Watson is somewhat of a cult favorite amongst purist country lovers. He has a love for old country tunes and voice just this side of Merle Haggard. In this heart breaker, we find trying to reconcile his love of country music and the pain they cause him when he listens to them.

Cause I sit in my car
And I bathe in their sorrow
Try to wash away my tears
Just to get through tomorrow
Note by note
Line by line
It cuts to the bone
Man I hate these songs



1. "The Grand Tour" by George Jones
"Step right up/Come on in" So begins George Jones tragic tale of loss and sorrow. Quite easily the winner of them all, this song paints a picture of sadness unparalleled by any vocalist. George has recorded better songs, but none can pull a tear so easy as this beautifully crafted piece. His wife having left him, George tells the story of his broken relationship by giving you a tour of his now empty home. The whole song swells with emotions (and strings) leading to a climatic moment when he wails:

As you leave you'll see the nursery
Oh, she left me without mercy
Taking nothing but our baby and my heart


I can think of no other vocalist that draw such energy from simple syllables.

No comments: